My grandmother passed away in the early hours of August 24th.
As I began making my plans to head up for the service, we received additional bad news. My uncle had been admitted to the hospital. In the rural town they live in, there was apparently a shortage of doctors as two of the town's doctors are serving in Iraq. My uncle was life-flighted to the closest city. He passed away two days after my grandmother, on August 26th.
So I went home for two funerals.
My aunt, having just lost her mother (whom she never lived more than 3 blocks from) and her husband, is not doing well. Her way of dealing with her grief seems to be to lash out at the rest of us in some pretty nasty ways.
It has been a difficult time for everyone. Family issues and conflicts that have long bubbled just under the surface came bursting forth with everyone together for the two funerals.
Let me give you a piece of advice: If you're ever at a funeral, and you consider starting a sentence with, "I've kept my mouth shut about this for 22 years but I'm just going to say it now...", go ahead and just keep your mouth shut for another couple of days. Really. The world won't end if you don't get it out right then and there. If you've waited 22 years, you can wait two more days.
No comments:
Post a Comment